Thursday 8 July 2010

An unexpected visitor

While watering the plants in the greenhouse the other night, I found this very sleepy little fellow on the ground by the water butt.


It was very sleepy indeed. I gently nudged it with a stick (obviously I didn't want my scent on it) to ensure it was alive, and all it did was shake me off and tuck its beak back under its wing. It's a juvenile green woodpecker, obviously just out of the nest.

Just look at the strength in that tail.

A quick google revealed that green woodpeckers leave the nest at about 3 weeks, and this fellow was definitely mature enough, being almost adult size. I could hear the parents being vocal (not at me, but encouraging the youngster) as I was working in the allotment, so I left it to its nap and went on my way.

1 comment:

Leigh said...

We really like woodpeckers so this one is a treat. Not like anything we'd see around here. Great photos.