Wednesday 2 June 2010

The Life is Good award

We survived the mushrooms! Last night's dinner was yet another lovely spring-veg and feta tart, involving some puff pastry, two onions and a head each of green and old smoked garlic, slowly caramelised in a little olive oil with assorted herbs, asparagus from the garden, what is probably the last of the purple sprouting broccoli from the garden, leeks, and the mushrooms. I simmered all of that slowly in the caramelised onion/oil mix on the weekend, and last night I added the mushrooms to that blend, spreading it all over puff pastry rolled out to line a sandwich tray. This was topped with crumbled feta cheese, salt-cured black olives and enough beaten egg to combine it all, a sprinkle of smoked Spanish paprika, and put in a hot oven for 10 minutes to cook and set. Absolutely delicious, although it would do well with the addition of walnuts, I think.

ps: we're completely out of shop-bought garlic now, and relying entirely on what's coming out of the garden. While the early stuff still isn't quite ready, there's enough of it that we can just pull a whole immature bulb out of the ground and cut it up for dinner.

But that's not what I'm here to talk about today. This was presented to me by Yarninmypocket.


Because, well...life is good!

Part of accepting this award is answering a few questions:

1. What would your perfect day consist of?
There are so many answers to this. At the moment we're spending so much time working in the garden or renovating that I consider a nice day spent working in the allotment followed by a nice meal to be a good day. But I'd have to say, one in which I could pursue what I were interested in. Rising when I'm ready, rather than to an alarm, a nice leisurely breakfast with an espresso on the back patio and a morning weaving, followed by an afternoon in the garden, time to cook a nice meal and relax with that, a glass of good wine and some good company. If I can throw in some nice (not too hot) weather, some form of fire (be it a BBQ, chiminea, fireplace, whatever), all the better. I'm fond of a day spent cycling and visiting pubs, too!

2. How would you describe yourself if you were an item of clothing?
Two items: jeans and a fine knit top. Relaxed, practical, comfortable, versatile, dress up or down, can be elegant or grub in, will go anywhere and do anything at a moment's notice.

3. What hobbies are you currently working on?
Growing my own food, and renovating a flat. Also knitting in the evenings. Normally I'd say something about spinning and weaving, but I've not had the leisure to touch either for months. Even cooking has become something of a matter of convenience, rather than an extravagant, gloriously time-consuming luxury!

4. Walking in the woods in wellies or barefoot on the beach?
Either are perfectly fine, so long as I'm walking. They're both outdoors!

5. Have you ever hugged or sang to a tree?
I can't say I have. I've stroked a few in my time, though.

6. Growing your own veggies or nipping to the supermarket.
Nothing can beat fresh produce straight from the ground! Supermarket offerings are a poor, poor second resort.

7. Have you found anyone exciting in your family tree?
No, nothing other than the usual family stuff. We're pretty modest types.

8. Slap up meal in a posh restaurant or fish ‘n’ chips from the wrapper?
Fish and chips would kill me, so I'll go for a good meal. I find that 'posh' restaurants tend to be overhyped though.

9. Which element do you most resonate with, Earth, Wind, Fire or Water?
Earth.

10. Do you believe in fairies?
No.

Passing it on!

Er....I tag Meg.

No comments: